Saturday, August 25, 2007

How Do I Polish Lake Stones in My Rock Tumbler?


Attached are pictures of rocks I attempted to polish in a tumbler, I am not getting the results I would like. I would like a glossy polish to the rocks. Also is there a way to remove the so called polish that is on there now? Thanks in advance for any help.

Judith

Hi Judith,
I think your problem is contamination. The photo shows a rock with "caves" in the surface. This rock and others like it (including some with less extreme "caves") will carry grit from one stage to the next, even with careful cleaning. Set aside all rocks like this one, and start again in step 3. That should solve your problem. Also, make sure you're cleaning your barrel very carefully.

Some people get stones like these to polish by running them through a soap stage in between the regular stages. You could try that as well. For a soap stage, we recommend Ivory bar soap shredded with a cheese grater, and water.

If all else fails, take comfort in knowing that some stones just won't take a polish.

Anita
Rockpick Legend Co.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Newsletter

Subscribe to our list